Today I'm sharing with you one of my family's favorite Thanksgiving recipes.
It is one of those things that simply CANNOT be missing from our Thanksgiving table -
and it's been part of the supporting role of "side dishes" as far back as I can remember...
It's Cranberry Relish!
No, it's not a savory relish, like the kind you're probably used to having-
(don't think of pickle relish - this is totally different).
This is a sweet relish - we serve it on warm dinner rolls, or alongside the turkey,
and the leftovers?
Well... Mom and I enjoy it on freshly toasted english muffins with cool cream cheese.
Well... Mom and I enjoy it on freshly toasted english muffins with cool cream cheese.
YUM!!!
It gets even better...
This has got to be one of the simplest Thanksgiving recipes ever!
Here goes:
(I love my Mom's handwritten recipes!)Rhyner Family Cranberry Relish
4 cups fresh (or frozen) cranberries

1 large orange
and 2 cups sugar (that's not a typo!) :o)

Trim off the ends of the orange(top and bottom)
and make sure you've removed all seeds (if there are any)
Place all three ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and...

blend until uniformly chopped - you can make it as course or as fine as you'd like -
(we prefer it slightly coarse)

Refrigerate at least a couple hours (the sugar will dissolve and flavors will blend nicely)
Best of all???
You can make this DAYS in advance - up to a week in advance!
We actually like it best once it's had a chance to sit a while.
I made mine today and we're not having our family's Thanksgiving until Sunday afternoon.
It'll be perfect... I can hardly wait....
(maybe I'll just HAVE to try it to make sure it's as amazing as last years'!)
So, if you're looking for a delicious alternative to that nasty store-bought jelly-stuff that looks like a can and jiggles like jello, this is the thing for you to try -
once you've had this Cranberry relish, you'll never go back!
(Now I'm off to taste-test this batch...
well - someone's got to "sacrifice"!!!) ;o)

No comments:
Post a Comment