Friday, December 19, 2008

Just-For-Fun Friday!

Earlier this week, we celebrated our two nephews' birthdays,
and, being in the financial crunch
that most people seem to be in these days,
I wanted to come up with something fun
that they could enjoy again and again....
and didn't cost an arm and a leg!
Both boys LOVE to play with play-dough
but I find the normal home-made stuff a bit...umm...
boring.
The colors never seem to be bright enough
and though I personally love the smell of
homemade playdough,
I found an even better recipe that results in
vibrant colors and a fabulous smell!!
And best of all...
it made for REALLY economical birthday presents
AND..
they LOVED it!
Here's the recipe we used:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kool-Aid Playdough:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2 pkgs unsweetened Kool-aid
(the regular kind in the little packets)
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Directions:
1. In a bowl, mix flour, salt and kool-aid.
2. Stir in water and oil
3. Knead with hands for about 5 minutes.
4. Store in ziploc bag for up to 2 months.
5. Use like playdough.
6. Smells wonderful and takes on the color of the koolaid!!!
The house smells sweet and fruity when the kids play with it -
(which is at least 2 times a day)!
What fun, creative play for them (all) to enjoy!

2 comments:

Lainie said...

Hey Sarah I love making our own play dough too! You might want to clarify unsweetened to be the regular Kool Aide and not the Sugarfree stuff. Kids in college used the sugarfree stuff to color their hair in college and it make their heads sticky!

LOL

Anonymous said...

We'll be making this tomorrow...Rin wants some to make a homemade gift for me and Brian :)

Thanks for the recipe. I never thought of using Kool Aid to color it, we've just used food coloring.

-Kathi@6Arrows