Friday, October 3, 2008

Joy In the Learning

Last evening I was blessed to be able to take part in a knitting class! I have wanted to learn this traditional homemakers skill for so long. Needless to say, I was beyond excited to sit and listen and learn. Our instructor, a delightful woman who hails from Denmark (and still speaks in a delightful, lilting accent!) sat with us on the cozy leather couch in her living room and ever so gently showed us the intricate steps in making a knitted handbag - which we will "felt" once we're done with the creating. Oh, such FUN!


At one point, as all beginners will do, I had lost my way in the process and had begun to make a mess of my work...but in the trained eye and with the skilled hands of this master craftswoman, she was able to take my mess, fix the flaws, and return it to being a piece that could still be made beautiful...oh, how very much like my Heavenly Father. The Master of All who sees my mistakes, knows every flaw in my day and yet, in His perfect love, will take my messes and is able to make something useful and beautiful from it all. As I'm sitting on this instructor-lady's couch, amidst the happy chatter swirling about me, I am struck by how this simple act...this act of knitting together this yarn to make something useful is so very much like what my Creator does with the pieces of my life...if I will at His feet lay down my own personal agendas - and yes, my messes too - and allow HIS reflection to be seen in my life, He can make something beautiful of it all.


Father, oh that I would continuously lay down my plans for your plans...for only then will my life be a sweet-smelling offering to You...

1 comment: