Yesterday morning as I sorted and organized my boys' clothes,
trying to pick out the right sizes to outfit my two nephews who are arriving in a few weeks,
I came upon my oldest son's winter coats -
yes, he has more than one -
thanks to a Grandmother who cannot pass up a good sale.
*smile*
Bracing myself for what I thought was going to be a whining session
about how he likes BOTH coats,
I broached the subject with no small measure of dread.
I say, "Honey, you know (cousin) is going to be coming to live with us
in a few weeks and he doesn't have a winter coat.
You have two nice winter coats - I think we ought to give one of them to (cousin).
What do you think?"
With not even a moment's hesitation,
out of a heart that has been given to Jesus,
my sweet and gentle son says,
" Yeah! He can have one of mine because I don't really need two."
" Yeah! He can have one of mine because I don't really need two."
*amazed smile*
"Thank you, Love! Which coat would you like to keep for yourself?"
"It doesn't really matter, Mom - you can give (cousin) whichever one you think would be best."
*Mommy heart melts to see such a giving, sweet spirit*
Holding up the (favorite color) blue coat, I say,
"Well, Hun, since this coat is a little smaller, I think this is the one we ought to give to (cousin)."
Not even a blink of an eye over the fact that this one is the favored color,
he says with not a trace of selfishness,
"Sure! That sounds great - and I will have the green one! And we can both be warm!"

My heart could just burst with thankfulness
as I see God's hand at work in my son's sweet attitude and his giving spirit.
I am thankful for this special one who sees the need of another
and is willing to give of his own excess
to help a cousin he probably doesn't even
remember meeting in years past.
A sweet spirit born out of a heart transformed by the love of Christ.
He has seen our own family blessed through the giving hearts of others,
and now he, in turn, reflects that in his own life.
I am thankful and so blessed by this child God has entrusted to me.
Father God, words cannot express how much my heart is touched
to see You use one of my own children.
I pray that this son of mine would retain this sweet spirit
now exemplified in his life.
I pray that one day You would use his life in a powerful way -
in a way that would bring all honor and glory to You alone.

No comments:
Post a Comment